|One of many Buy Local initiatives|
in Maine near the Time4 offices.
Buy Local initiatives will require:
- Collaborative Advertising
- Collaborative customer sharing (being close together or easily cross accessible).
- Being price competitive with the Internet retailers.
- Collaboratively educating the community on "Local".
- reduced energy
- local jobs
- higher and broader tax base
- better schools
- better roads
- a safer community
- face-to-face service
- less travel time - more leisure time
It takes collaborative efforts in development, entertainment and advertising. This makes "Local" a destination; it makes "Local" the mall. Some places were created with this in mind (though upscale) like West Palm Beach, Florida's CityPlace. Some places were converted such as Boulder, Colorado's Pearl Street Mall.
What we will end up with is "self sustaining communities" - a topic in vogue in both political and academia worlds.